There are only a couple more days until Valentine’s Day.
So to get into the spirit of the day, I’m sharing thoughts and sayings about love. These are from people who I think you’ll find have something interesting to say about this thing called love.
And I’ve chosen these 20 love quotes because they’re timeless. They’re thoughts not just about happy, romantic love but of the many different types of love and phases of love.
Whatever Valentines Day means for you, remember that the love of others stems first and foremost from our love of the self.
20 Love Quotes For Valentines Day.
- Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
- I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- A relationship is an initiation, in a way. It’s a rite of passage to really be in a relationship. The point is not just to have things work out so that you’re happy. You have to deal with certain things, like differences. As you work things out, you actually become a more mature person. That’s a very good way in which a relationship serves your soul.
- We are not held back by the love we didn’t receive in the past, but by the love, we’re not extending in the present.
- Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.
- Once the realisation is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.
Rainer Maria Rilke
- Love is patient; love is kind. It does not envy; it does not boast, it is not inflated. It is not rude; it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered or quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury. Love does not delight over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, perseveres through all things. Love never fails.
1 Corinthians 13: 4-7
- It takes courage to love, but pain through love is the purifying fire which those who love generously know. We all know people who are so much afraid of pain that they shut themselves up like clams in a shell and, giving out nothing, receive nothing and therefore shrink until life is a mere living death.
- Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.
- Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.
- The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard but must be felt with the heart.
- Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.
- Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.
Vincent Van Gogh
- The art of love is largely the art of persistence.
- Love does not dominate; it cultivates.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The more one judges, the less one loves.
Honore de Balzac
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
- The best proof of love is trust.
- Love is not only something you feel; it is something you do.
I know I said there would be 20 quotes, but here are 3 more that I know you’ll enjoy and couldn’t resist including!
21. Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world.
22. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.
23. I define love thus: The will to extend one’s self for the purpose of nurturing your own, or another’s spiritual growth.
M Scott Peck
Over To You
What is your favourite quote on love? Feel free to share your favourite, or maybe add one that’s not on the list, in the comments section below.
If you want to explore love in your life get in touch and book your first counselling appointment.
Or call me today on 07535 864836.
Leave a comment below; I’d love to hear from you.
P.S. PASS IT ON
Enjoyed this post? Then use the icons below to tweet it, share it on Facebook and send it to specific friends via email.
© Sandra Harewood
Soul Centred couples counsellor Sandra Harewood specialises in working with couples and single women with childhood wounding that impacts their adult relationships. Sandra provides a soulful space for her clients to explore and discover creative solutions to their difficulties and create great relationships.